Thursday 25 June 2015

Day 25 Go Tree Spotting

This evening me and my eldest daughter drove out to Sparrow Hill in Parbold to have a walk through a woods, seeing how many different trees we could spot along the way.

Even armed with a book called the Complete Guide to British Trees, identifying  some of them wasn't an easy task.  Some I could get straight away but some I'll need to read through the book a bit more thorough until I can match the leaves.

Grasshopper hiding
(need to ID the yellow flowers)

Sprodley Brook

Obligatory Sheep shot

The farmers field and the
woods we walked through

Foxgloves along the drystone wall

Thistle

Foxglove

Buttercup

Clover

Heading into the woods

Red Campion

Red Campion

Oak tree

Oak tree leaves

Sprodley Brook

Maple tree

Maple leaves

Fungi

Path through the woods

Daughter leads the way

Holly



The woodland path


Water hole

Leaving the wood

Cuckoo Spit

Buttercup

Buttercups and Red Campion

Elder

Insect

Black Slug

Heading towards the pond

Tree branch


Meadow Orchid

Orchids and Buttercups in the grass

The pond from the trail path


Looks like a sheeps
been scratching here



Sheep droppings

More sheep

Insect amongst the flowers

Dandelion



Rowan

 Field Maple

 Time to turn to the book

 Daughter about to try and identify a leaf


 Ox-Eye Daisy

 Tufted Vetch

Buttercups and Red Campion

6 comments:

  1. Nice looking walk, I looked at trees last year and was surprised how many there was just at our local park, like wild flowers the more you look the more you find...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great collection of photos and finds. I especially like the hiding grasshopper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely collection of finds and photos. The bluebells though look more like tufted vetch to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops my mistake, you're right Crafty Green Poet, I'll have to update that.

      Delete